The Certified Nurse Midwives at Glacier Maternity and Women’s Center provide safe, supportive, woman to woman care. They offer obstetrics and a full spectrum of women’s gynecological health needs at four locations – Whitefish, Kalispell, Columbia Falls. and Eureka.
The clinic joined North Valley Hospital in November 2010 and work collaboratively with all of their patients to deliver a memorable experience.
Glacier Maternity provides a sliding fee scale to help those in need thereby making healthcare services more accessible and affordable.
- Prenatal care, including an initial physical and lab work along with regular visits throughout the pregnancy. Education for achieving optimal health, prevention and recognition of complications is emphasized.
- Hospital services for your delivery are provided exclusively at North Valley Hospital & include supportive care in labor, waterbirth option, ordering pain medication and anesthesia if desired, and performance of all procedures needed during a normal birth. Every effort is made to respect choices made by the woman and her family regarding their birth experience.
- Annual examinations, including PAP Smears, breast and pelvic examinations, referrals for mammography and laboratory studies and general wellness counseling.
- Contraceptive counseling and prescription, including birth control pills, patch or ring, Depo Provera injections, diaphragm fitting and IUD placement.
- Screening and treatment of vaginal infections, urinary tract infections, sexually transmitted diseases, menstrual irregularities, pelvic pain and premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- Peri-menopausal, post-menopausal consultation and annual gynecological exams with additional counseling and treatment for the symptoms that may develop during this transitional time.
- Should you develop a condition during your pregnancy or gynecological care that requires a physician’s management, Drs. Mirna Bowden, Kathleen Lewison, and Carrie Merrill OB/GYNs will provide consultation services to us. In cases where serious complications develop, which are outside the scope of our expertise, they will accept your transfer to their care.
Glacier Maternity Providers include:
To save time on your first visit or your annual visit, you may like to complete the patient forms and bring them to your appointment:
What is a Certified Nurse-Midwife?
A Certified Nurse-Midwife is a Master’s level prepared registered nurse who has additional education in women’s health care and midwifery. By education and experience, a nurse-midwife is qualified to be the main care giver throughout pregnancy and childbirth for healthy women, and to provide normal gynecological services, including family planning, annual exams, PAP Smears and care of the peri– and post-menopausal woman. Each year, more than a hundred thousand women in the United States give birth to their babies with the help of nurse-midwives. The numbers continue to grow as word spreads that having a baby with a nurse-midwife is a safe, satisfying experience.
Why Choose a Certified-Midwife?
Nurse-Midwives provide SAFE care. Over the years, nurse-midwives have maintained a superb record of safety. Research shows that pregnancy, labor and delivery for a healthy woman is as safe with a nurse-midwife as with a physician and that women who choose nurse-midwives are less likely to have cesarean sections and unnecessary medical interventions. Nurse-midwives work as PARTNERS with women to facilitate the best decisions for their health. Nurse-midwives take the time to LISTEN and give SUPPORT. More than anything, what nurse midwives offer women is time. Whether it is time to answer all the questions during an office visit or time to coax a slow labor, nurse-midwives are available. This personal support provides crucial enhancement to a woman’s health and helps prevent medical complications. “Midwife” means “WITH WOMEN.” As early as Biblical times and in most cultures since, women have assisted other women through labor. Certified Nurse-midwives are part of this long tradition of women helping women, with special sensitivity, a sound knowledge base, and good common sense.
For more information on Glacier Maternity and Women’s Center, contact them at 406-752-8180, or visit them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/glaciermaternity.